On June 6, a gentle breeze filled the air and the sun shined brightly upon the new prayer garden dedicated to Saint Marianne Cope as friends gathered for the blessing (by Bishop Cunningham) and opening of the Maurillo Family Garden. The focal point, a statue of Mother Marianne created by Sister Rosaire Kopczenski (relocated from St. Anthony’s courtyard) is surrounded by fragrant and bountiful white and pink roses, lavender and hydrangea. The walkway leading up to the statue is comprised of the engraved bricks that were once at Stella Maris in Skaneateles, NY.
In 1943, Vitantonio and Rosaria Clavelli Maurillo purchased a duplex at 601 N. Townsend Street (the address of the Saint Marianne Cope Shrine & Museum). Rosaria Maurillo planted her own garden filled with roses and hydrangeas in the very same spot the new garden now stands. Generations grew up in, played and prayed together at the house. We are grateful to the Maurillo family, St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, and to all of the sisters.
The Catholic Sun: "New Garden Honors Local Saint, Family" See more
WKTV: "St. Marianne Cope statue and garden unveiled in Syracuse" See more
Time Warner Cable News: "New Garden to Be Dedicated to Saint Marianne Cope" See more
St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center: "Garden Dedication at Saint Marianne Cope Shrine & Museum" See more
(Click an image to view slideshow and captions)